Sunday, March 9, 2014

A foundation near and dear to my heart


After my diagnosis, when I was referred to be a wish kid, I felt this overwhelming need to give back. Coming from the Wish-kid perspective, it can be quite difficult to be in the spotlight for such a dark reason. Although I, and many other sick children, strive for the sense of normality, there is an undeniable need for some faith to fall back on. That is exactly what Make-a-Wish resembles. This foundation is a symbol of hope for a better tomorrow and a reminder of what the child is fighting for. This organization does no cease to amaze me as it develops unique wishes for children with life threatening circumstances. I knew that if I had the chance to fund for Make-a-Wish, I would take full advantage of the opportunity.

Pretty soon, everything began to fall into place. I teamed up with Froggy Radio station to host a benefit concert, featuring Gary Allan, Jon Pardi, and Kelliegh Bannen. Their support with my project and my story, overwhelmed me immensely. I had the chance to do a radio interview with Jeremy, aka Danger, about the event and why the proceeds were going to Make-a-Wish. It was incredible. After growing up listening to his voice on the radio, I was in his studio, while he interviewed ME. They did a wonderful job with getting the word out about the cause!
Jeremy, aka Danger, and I at the Froggy studio!


Tuesday, February 11th; the actual event day. The concert took place at Latitude 40 with a first come, first serve admission and a $10.00 donation to receive a ticket. In addition to the admission fee, Froggy had some other things up their sleeves. Gary Allan agreed to donate ALL of the proceeds to Make-a-Wish! That's not it! Before the doors even opened, we raised $2,500 by auctioning off two pairs of meet-and-greet and VIP passes! I was amazed. My goal of granting a wish was about to come true.

All together, the show was incredible. Gary Allan, Jon Pardi, and Kelliegh Bannen all joined the stage at one time to play a sort of "front porch acoustic" vibe. The audience was packed with fans who knew all the words, supporters of Make-a-Wish, and my lovely family members/friends. I had the privilege to meet each of the artists and thank them for their help with my fundraiser. In total, we raised a whopping amount of over $9,200!!! I aimed to raise enough for one wish, but the fact that I was able to raise enough for two wishes, surpassed any wish of mine! Thank you so much to every one who made this possible!
The waiting line before the show started!

My dear friends from radiation: Kieran, my little warrior, Abby, Kaden, and Mailee.
My two favorite men: my boyfriend and father.
The lovely Kelliegh Bannen. She was truly a charm and took time to hear my story.
I had the privilege of meeting the amazing, Gary Allan.
This man is so inspirational; I couldn't have done this without him.
Meeting Gary Allan with my daddio!
The handsome, talented Jon Pardi.
Mr. Dreamy, himself.
Some of my beautiful supporters: My teachers, sister, and Danger.
My beautiful aunts and cousin (plus my dad photo bombing).
 
Remy, my Make-a-Wish volunteer. I would be nothing without her!
Without even having my Make-A-Wish trip yet, I contributed to two additional wishes. All of the individuals that were involved with this process were so willing and cooperative. I can't wait to see what is in store for my Make-a-Wish trip, to LA Fashion Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment